If you’re considering importing marble stone from China for your next home renovation or commercial building project, there are a few things you should know. In this blog post, we’ll cover everything from the most popular types of Chinese marble to where you can source it and what kind of quality to expect.
As this article includes so much practical information, I organize it into 5 chapters. By the end, you’ll be an expert on all things marble stone from China!
Natural stone and Engineered stone are both under the Stone category, in this article, we will focus on Natural stone to discuss. Natural stone can be classified into seven general categories according to its composition:
Marble is usually veined, fine-textured material that comes in virtually unlimited color selections.
Granite is distinguished by its unique crystal pattern or small flecks. It has poor primary permeability overall, but strong secondary permeability through cracks and fractures if they are present. Granite is a very hard material that is often used in construction.
Onyx tends to be more crystalline, strongly banded, and colored in browns to yellows and clear. It can be translucent, and light-colored varieties sliced thin are use for attractive backlit display panels or even light-admitting windows.
Quartzite is a hard, non-foliated metamorphic material that was originally pure quartz. It’s a decorative stone and is use for wall cladding, roofing tiles, and flooring. It is also used for countertops in kitchens due to its harder and more resistant to stains than granite.
Limestone are widely used as building stone. Colors are typically gray, tan, or buff. It is a type of sedimentary material that is characterized by the presence of shell and/or fossil impressions.
Sandstone vary widely in color due to different minerals and clays found in the stone. It is light gray to yellow or red.
Slate is dark green, black, gray, and dark are most commonly used as a flooring material and for roof tiles and are often distinguished by distinct cleft texture. Some notable cladding projects have also included slate.
Format of Stone
- Block – is a rough rock mined from a quarry with a big shape.
- Slab – Quarry blocks are commonly cut to slabs by a gang saw. The slab size depends on the size of the block, the thickness can be cut into 12, 16, 18, 20, and 30mm regularly, Thus,18mm and 20mm are the standard thickness in the market.
- Tile – From slab to tile, we will need one more procedure- cut to size. It can be cut to any size under requests.
Typical Finished for Stone
Polished: A polished finish has a glossy surface that brings out the full color and character of the stone. It is not generally recommended for exterior use or commercial floors
Honed: Honed finishes have a satin-smooth surface with little or no gloss.
Other finishes, such as Bush hammered, Flamed, Antique, Mushroom, and acid washing, are also available.
There are many different types of stone quarries in China with different colors and veins. These quarries can be found throughout the country, and we also import stone blocks from other countries to supplement our selection. We buy and sell stone from all over the world.
3 Channels to Find Chinese Stone Suppliers
Chinese Wholesale Websites
The simple way to find China stone suppliers. There are also different online channels you can try, which include B2B platforms & Trading companies.
You can go to B2B websites such as Alibaba, Made in China, or Stonecontact. There are all kinds of stone suppliers including original factories, trading companies, and other small to medium-sized suppliers on these platforms.
Chinese Stone Manufacturer Clusters
After several years of planning and development, China’s stone industry has formed three well-known stones, Yunfu in Guangdong, Shuitou in Fujian, and Laizhou in Shandong, and more than 20 large-scale stone industries. The cluster has played an important role in promoting the development of the national stone industry.
If you can come to china, you must go to stone industry clusters to find original stone factories. Check the following production areas in China:
Yunfu in Guangdong Province
Being the capital of stone, Yunfu lies a highly complete and efficient manufacturing chain of stone. There are more than 5000 stone factories. From block to tile, marble, onyx, quartzite, granite, and engineered stone, you can find anything about stone here. Yunfu is also near Foshan which is well known as a ceramic and furniture city, if you carry a commercial project, it’s convenient to source other categories of products for your project.
If you are specialized in the stone business and have a constant demand for stone from China in large quantities, make sure to pay a visit here. It is the largest distribution center of stone products in China.
Shuitou in Fujian Province
Shuitou town in Xiamen is another stone cluster in China. It features all kinds of marble, onyx and granite. The Xiamen International Stone Fair will held in Xiamen city every year.
Laizhou in Shandong Province
Laizhou features varieties of Granite, there are roughly 20 granite quarries located here. Laizhou was awarded the title of “China Stone Capital” by the China Stone Industry Association.
Tips to Find Stone Suppliers in The Industry Clusters
There are a few things to keep in mind before going to these clusters. First, if you have the chance, do make a plan and prepare a list of the suppliers or factories you want to visit. You can find their addresses and other related information on Alibaba. Arriving at the stone industry cluster, you can then visit the suppliers on your list one by one to find the most suitable match. Another tip is to figure out what kind of stone you want before going to these clusters. This way, you won’t get lost and overwhelmed once you’re there.
China Trade Fairs
Here I will only recommend 2 of the trade fair in China.
- Xiamen International Stone Fair
As the largest stone trade fair in the world, Xiamen Stone Fair is the world’s leading stone industry trade show covering 182,000 m2 of exhibition space and is the largest gathering of global stone industry practitioners in March every year. This is the best exhibition in China.
- Canton Fair
This is one of the biggest Trade Fairs in China. It is a comprehensive trade fair feature in all product categories, This fair is usually held in October, the specific date varies every year, you should check the notice published on the official website.
Tips For Sourcing Suppliers Online
When searching for suppliers online, don’t be too focused on lower prices. Don’t believe too much in the meaningless content on Google either. The only thing you should follow is “It’s Best Only When It Fits You.” By following this rule, you will be sure to find the best stone supplier for your needs.
When it comes to choosing a marble stone supplier for your project, there are a few things you’ll want to keep in mind.
- Make sure the supplier is professional in stone industrial. A professional supplier should be with outstanding knowledge of Natural stones with comprehensive experience. This is important because you might face some stone maintenance and care issues after installation, and you will need a solution to solve your problems. In this case, the manufacturer has more advantages than the trading company.
- Make sure the supplier has a wild selection of stones to choose from. You’ll also need to make sure that they have the right type of stone for your project
- Make sure the supplier offers competitive prices. One of the most practical strategies to find the most suitable supplier for you is to include 3 to 5 suppliers into a candidate group and compare their prices based on the same quality standard. Some natural stone do not have a fixed price.
How to Choose The Finest Stone in China?
With so many different types available, it can be tricky to select the ideal one for your needs. Factors like cost, durability, and maintenance should all be considered when making your decision. Below tips will help you select the perfect marble type for your projects based on your specific needs and preferences.
Confirm the materials
Taking the time to compare different types of marble stone can help you find the perfect option for your needs. Each type of stone with different color and veining. Some types of marble are more expensive than others, but may be more durable or require less maintenance. You’ll also want to consider the color and veining of the stone.
Thickness, Size and Finished
Choosing the correct thickness and sizes for your project can feel like a minor decision, but in fact, it is one of the most important decisions you will make when selecting the stone, as well as whether you want a polished or honed finish. As we mentioned, the thickness of stone can be from 12-30mm or even more, choose the suitable thickness based on your needs and preferences, 18mm and 20mm are the standard thickness in the market.
Stone can range significantly in price depending on the type and quality, and quality is the most important factor when choosing a stone. Inspect the stone slabs or tiles properly to make sure they are of good quality.
Quality Problem You Might Be Face
- Cracks & appearance – first we need to check if any cracks and fissures on the slab or tile. Natural stone features its veining, cracks, and fissures but we should avoid the wide cracks on the surface which might cause problems during stalling.
- Color variation – all pieces of stone should be uniform and consistency
- Airhole and patches on the surface – You can check the quality of the stone tiles examined under light at a 45-degree angle.
- Calibration and thickness – make sure each piece of stone has the same thickness which you request. The tolerance of 18mm thickness stone is +/-1mm.
- Chips on edges and corners broken – It will damage the edges and corners when not cut correctly, we have to check all 4 edges to make sure there are no chips and corner squares.
- Cutting size error – Measure 4 sides of the stone tiles with the correct size as requested
- Flatness varies – Most of the stone slabs are polished by auto polishing machines at present, but there are some fragile materials still polished by hand machines which will cause the surfaces out of flatness, especially for large slabs.
- Package damage – Stone products with a high risk of breaking during transportation. The packaging standard to export is using export strong wooden crates padded with foam inside, and outside reinforced by plastic tape.
Popular Natural Stone From China
In this part, I’ll list some stone materials that are popular among importers and contractor according to our export experience.
Black Marquina is a classic and popular marble material well known for its unique texture.
Silver Wave is also named Black Wave. It is one of the most popular and classic types of marble.
Panda White is a famous white marble from China. It features its white background and black veining.
Waterjet Medallion Cutting by advanced technology machines to make the luxury medallion.
Customs Duty And Required Documents For Importing Stone From China
When you import stone from China, you should know the HS code of the type of stone you are importing, which you can search on your local official websites. Then you should check the customs tariff and calculate it in your cost. The import tariff varies from different types of stone and importing countries.
Here is the list of some general documents in common:
- Commercial invoice
- Bill of lading
- Packing list
- Certificate of Origin
- Customs declaration
- Fumigation certificate
Thanks for reading. If you have any problems importing stone from China, please get in touch with us directly. As the leading stone manufacturer and exporter in China, we are confident in our ability to provide you with the perfect stone solution for your needs. So please don’t hesitate to CONTACT US if you have any confusion.